I’m Working On It…

Reflection is something very important for everyone to do, especially teachers. Two major ways that I reflect, learn, and grow are through personal reflection (blogging and note taking) and going through the notes on the observations done by my supervisor.

Personal Reflection: I reflect personally by taking notes on things happening in my classes and using them to better serve my students later. I write about certain assignments that I need to clarify the directions of, what I should ask students about in the future, what I am doing really well with, and what I think that I need to improve on.

Observations: I absolutely love getting my observations back from my supervisor. Even though I do reflect on my work personally, I think that it is much better to get reflections from a fresh set of eyes. Sometimes things are pointed out to me that I never even thought of, but will greatly improve my student’s class experience. And the biggest thing that I am working on is getting students to think deeper in classroom discussions. I was given this amazing resource on what kinds of questions to ask my students in discussions to get them to think deeper about the prompt and their answer to it. Some of them that I try to include now are: “What makes you think that _______________?”, “What are some of the causes that led to ______________?”, and “How does that compare to _____________?”

Because of the reflection given to me during observations, I can better serve my students.

1 Comment on I’m Working On It…

1. Andrea McKay
    April 27, 2018 at 1:25 pm (6 years ago)

Way to use feedback, Lauren! I really appreciate your attitude towards growth and improvement — all focused on student success. 🙂

Reply