Connections, Connections, Connections

Making connections the first week with students is absolutely vital. That is what I have been focusing on for my first week with students.

————————————————————————————-

Failure: I sent the wrong link for my Welcome Letter to about 10 students. At least it was only ten! I am very glad that I caught my mistake and fixed it quickly, but it was definitely not surprising that something would go wrong this first week.

Success: Padlet! This summer my class padlet did get a response, but once a student posted initially they never even viewed/commented on other posts. This time around I made a game out of it instead of just an introduction. I had my students (and myself) play 2 Truths and a Lie via a padlet embedded into my announcements page and it was very successful! In my biggest class I had 37 students post on the padlet and I would say about 3/4ths also responded to others by commenting which they thought was the lie. It was slow moving at first, but I think that got to know each other better, and I got to connect with them on topics that are not at all related to class. Playing an introduction game like this on padlet is definitely something I would suggest to new teachers! Just because my classroom is online, doesn’t mean that I can’t use some of the same ideas that are successful in face-to-face classrooms.

*Also it was awesome to talk to students about their hobbies and pets through Padlet and the discussion boards. Especially since I had something really great to share – pictures of my new puppy!

This is my new puppy Captain America! He is an 8 week old Lab/German Shepherd mix that loves to chase leaves and cuddle all day. He is also a champion nap taker.

2 Comments on Connections, Connections, Connections

1. Andrea McKay
    September 14, 2017 at 4:31 pm (7 years ago)

Lauren, thank you for sharing a failure — I have done the EXACT same thing before with Welcome letters! Learn and grow, right? 🙂 I love your strategy for getting kids to engage in the Padlet. You changed your technique and saw results. Great idea for getting to know your students in the online classroom!

Reply
  2. Kevin Santer
    September 23, 2017 at 5:35 pm (7 years ago)

Oh my goodness yes – I have definitely made multiple mistakes like yours. That crushing embarrassment you feel when you realize what you did is tough to shake. The thing is, I have yet to get anything but supportive feedback when I send out my groveling apologies as I clean up my mess. It usually seems like a lot bigger deal to us than to our “customers”.
    I love how you’re willing to experiment and then keep experimenting while making tweaks as you go. That’s high on my list of crucial teacher skills.

Reply