Discussions, How To?

I have found that my students give a huge variety of responses in discussion boards. I have see responses this semester that range from “noice” to long, detailed paragraphs that ask constructive questions with the intent of furthering the conversation. Because of this huge range, I want to work on figuring out strategies to bring up the students that are giving one or two word responses to using full sentences and really contributing to the class discussions. One way that I am working on doing this, is providing students with great examples, not only ones that I have written, but ones by fellow classmates as well.

I have this one student in my Criminology class that always writes these extremely detailed responses. So I sent her a message and asked her permission to share some of these responses with my other students to give them an example of a student going above and beyond for the assignment.

(You can view an example of this here: https://www.screencast.com/t/yO1Mx3J7M)

I then used this student’s example to create an infographic to post in all of my classes. I am hoping that this will help some students see the kinds of things they should be including in their own discussion board responses.

(Click the image below to view the infographic)

1 Comment on Discussions, How To?

1. Andrea McKay
    November 16, 2017 at 6:34 pm (6 years ago)

Lauren, this is a great guide for your students! You give them clear direction on how to build a response, and this is really important for communication skills our students need. Awesome!

Reply